Friday, May 21, 2010

#26 WWED

WWED. What would Eric do?

When I was growing up it became fashionable for some kids to wear WWJD or “What would Jesus do?” bracelets. Being Jewish, I never got into them, but I suppose they stand for thinking before you act, and acting in a moral fashion. Since then the idea has been co-opted by many others and I’m going to steal it again. The “What would Eric Do?” (WWED) bracelets would be slightly different though, as in many cases you probably don’t want to do what he would have done.

Some examples:

I need to hang a shelf. WWED? Eric would stand on a box to measure with the result being that the shelf ends up way too high.

I would like to invite out of town guests to stay. WWED? Eric felt no need to inventory household supplies. This meant that when my husband and I visited him in London he had one towel for us to share.

I witnessed my oldest nephew’s first steps in the absence of his parents. WWED? He told us. This course of action is definitely not recommended, I’m still not over it and the child in question is 6.

So you see, this device could help you avoid making numerous bad decisions. Of course, it could also help you make good ones.

My sister has mono and is not living near any family. WWED? He sent me a huge care package with books, crossword puzzles, pancake mix, syrup and a stuffed platypus he named “Duo”.

My nephew got scared to the point of tears over grandma and grandpa’s new turtle shaped stepping stones. WWED? He sent my son a stuffed turtle with a message saying not to worry about the other ones, they like being stepping stones.

My girlfriend got me into watching “Project Runway” and I want to get her a unique and special Christmas gift. WWED? He designed a dress for her and had a seamstress make it reality.

Despite his occasional mishaps, Eric’s intentions were always good. I miss his humor and his advice. I know I will always think about what Eric would do.

1 comment:

  1. Eric Would definitely Alway Do the Unexpected like when he made my friends the Anti-Baseball Blanket by making no symbols out of red felt and using iron transfers to attach them to a sports blanket. And yes his intentions were always heartfelt and well- meaning :-)

    ReplyDelete