Saturday, May 14, 2011

#364 The Green Dodge Dart

My seven year old reminded me of an Eric story that I had temporarily forgotten yesterday. We were packing the car in preparation for a trip to Savannah and he asked if he could sit in the driver’s seat while he waited for us to finish. I automatically said no, but that he could sit in the front passenger seat. When he asked me why I realized it was because of Eric.




When Eric and I were little my dad had a green Dodge Dart that he bought from a dealership called Green Dodge. That always made me laugh. He bought it before I was born and I remember thinking that made the car ancient. There was no air conditioning and no power windows. There were pennies on the floor of the front passenger seat that I was (frustratingly) not allowed to touch. They were there for good luck.



One day the car was parked in our driveway on a small slope and Eric was playing in the driver’s seat. I don’t know if he accidentally released the emergency brake or if it wasn’t set or really what happened, but all of a sudden the car was moving. The windows were rolled down and I can still see my dad clinging to the top of the car door as he ran along with it trying to stop the car. The car was probably 10 feet from a stone wall and luckily my dad didn’t get pinned between the car and the wall and the wall stopped the car. No one was injured but no one was allowed to play in the driver’s seat anymore either. Including my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment