Wednesday, May 11, 2011

#361 Suzanne's Journey

The fickle finger of fate has struck again. After weeks of suspecting it from her hints on facebook I found out that a friend of mine from high school has cancer. It’s not just any cancer either; it’s a very aggressive form of cervical cancer. It’s really scary. This is not supposed to happen to people my age. Just like nothing was supposed to happen to Eric.




While we were friends in high school we did not keep in touch after graduation. As with so many other friends, facebook has brought us back together. In this way I have learned what an amazing person she has become and gotten to know about her two wonderful boys and her fiancĂ©. That’s right. She’s supposed to get married in September. To give you a hint of the personality in this one little package, there will be a tattoo artist at the wedding. Permanent party favor anyone? I say there will be a tattoo artist because there will be a wedding. She decided this today as she got the proof for her invitation. You too can read about her journey on her blog.

Wedding Excitement Turns to Cancer Treatment

I know she is scared. I know she is mourning the loss of being able to carry future children—although not necessarily the children themselves thanks to reproductive technology and a borrowed womb. I know she is worried for her boys. I also know she is strong and has the resources and support to get through this.



My mom asked me this morning why she would post about this on facebook. My answer was for the support of all of her friends. Without facebook I would never have known about this and been able to offer my support. Facebook brought me (and still brings me) a ton of support surrounding Eric. It may seem very exposed to my mom, but to me it’s a community. It brings together people from every stage of my life and lets me interact as much or as little as I please. It also lets me visit Eric’s page any time I want.



Suzanne, I wish you success and support on this journey you’d rather not be taking. Your community is here as well.

1 comment: