Friday, May 13, 2011

#362 Dick Deadeye Bites the Dust

I took my seven year old to his first opera last night. Opera Carolina is putting on HMS Pinafore, a Gilbert and Sullivan comic operetta and last night was the final dress rehearsal. They call that performance student night and for a steep discount you can bring, well, students.




I’m not a huge opera fan. I love musical theatre but I’ve never really gotten into opera. Still, I like Gilbert and Sullivan and thought an opera in English would be a good way to introduce the art form. We both liked it. The production was a good one and he seemed to be able to mostly follow the story. I helped when necessary. His favorite part was, of course, when Dick Deadeye kept falling or getting pushed off of the ship, but then again, he’s seven.



Mostly I’m just glad he liked it. I gave him the option to leave at intermission since it was getting late and the bus comes early, but he wanted to finish it out so we did.



I think my first opera might have been when Eric bought my husband and me tickets to the opera in Paris. I honestly can’t remember what we saw, but it was a magical night. We were in Paris (which is a good start) we got all dressed up, went out for a nice dinner and we went to the opera. We were young and in love and cultured. It felt good. And we never would have done it without Eric.



I think Eric would like that I took my son to the opera. He was more into it than I was. So I did it partly for Eric, partly for me and partly for my son. I like that combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment