Sunday, July 18, 2010

#84 Happy Anniversary to me

Today is my wedding anniversary--eleven years of wedded bliss. It truly has been a great decade plus, and I don’t know how I would have gotten through most of it without my husband.

Eric and my husband bonded early on in their relationship. This was very important to me as Eric and I had always been close, so of course I wanted him to like any one I would consider marrying. I think Eric knew my husband was “the one” before I did. He used to make fun of my high school boyfriends, but my husband, he liked. When we got engaged he told my mother he was relieved because if we had broken up he wasn’t sure who he would have gone with.

I can remember Eric and my husband wrestling on the floor of my grandmother’s apartment in Queens. They truly were as close as brothers, almost from the very beginning.

Eric’s death also hit my husband very hard. It was a difficult position for him to be in, trying to help keep me functioning while still dealing with his own grief. He has performed admirably. Eric is missed by so many people in so many places in so many ways. He had a gift of becoming instant family with anyone. His friends knew they could ask him for anything at anytime and he would come through. He was just that kind of guy. In turn, his friends brought him into their families and would have done anything for him. The world could use more of him, not less.

No comments:

Post a Comment