Sunday, July 11, 2010

#77 Mothers and Sons

The other day my 3 year old and I took a nap together. As we got into bed he asked me to face him. He looked at me with his big eyes, held my face in his hands and gently kissed me once on the forehead, the nose and on each cheek, something I have done to him countless times. There is nothing like the unwavering love of a young boy for his Mom. This will change as he gets older, learns more, discovers girls and the rest of the world; but for now he is all mine. Even more so than my 6 year old, my 3 year old is a true Mommy’s boy. I can remember when Eric and my Mom were like that.

When I was pregnant with my first son and found out it was a boy, I remember thinking that someday he would “drive” his cars up and down my legs and arms like Eric did with my Mom. Eric spent so much time on my Mom’s lap we joked that he would get married there. I know my Mother loves me, but I think the love between a mother and a daughter is different than that between a mother and a son. The son may grow up and away, but mom will always be his first and longest love.

My Mom loves to tell the story of the night we were all sitting at the dinner table and Eric turned to my Dad to ask a question instead of to her. It was the first sign that his horizons were broadening, that he was moving on.

He has now moved on to a place where none of us can follow. I can’t imagine how hard that is for my Mom. It’s hard for all of us, but especially for her. That sweet little boy who worshipped her so completely, is now completely gone.

When Eric was a toddler and was supposed to be napping my Mother discovered him on the second floor landing unrolling all of the toilet paper and paper towel rolls to make roads for his cars. Upon seeing her look of dismay he said, “Don’t worry, Mommy, I fix it” and proceeded to flatten out all the bumps. I wish there was a way I could fix this. No mother should have to go through what she is going through. And way too many do.

1 comment:

  1. Liz:
    I've been reading your touching, funny, and bittersweet memories. What an incredible tribute you've created to your one-of-a-kind brother.

    ReplyDelete