Friday, July 9, 2010

#75 Sick

This week I am continuing a long-standing tradition of Eric’s—getting sick on vacation. When Eric and I were in college my parents lived in Asia. First they were in Bangkok, Thailand (where Eric finished high school), then Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; and finally Singapore. During our winter breaks Eric and I would travel “home” where we would proceed to go on a fabulous vacation. We went so many places, including Australia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Nepal, China, and Cambodia. Each vacation was distinct and memorable and amazing in its own way and during almost every one Eric got sick.

In Indonesia Eric got an ear infection so painful he could hardly chew. This was obviously a poor way to spend a vacation, but especially so when we had snorkeling and possibly scuba diving planned. Needless to say those activities were not ones he could partake in that trip.

In Nepal I remember him getting a cold during one of our many stays at “The Yak and Yeti” in Kathmandu. Despite its name, this is actually a very nice hotel…for Nepal. Considering we stayed some places in Nepal without heat, this was probably the best place for him to be sick. They even served pretty good hot chocolate.

In China, we both got sick. Since we shared a hotel room he probably gave me whatever he had. Each of us missed a separate day of touring. On the day I stayed in I got a call from the maid saying, “Good morning, good evening, good afternoon. I can come to clean your joom?” That became a long-running family joke, although I think it’s funnier spoken than in print.

This week I am visiting my parents with my family, and I have gotten sick. It’s just a cold, but I feel pretty miserable. It’s no fun to be sick on vacation, Eric definitely knew that. There are other ways I’d rather be following in his footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment