Monday, June 21, 2010

#57 Delayed vs Instant Gratification

Every Mom’s challenge is to get their kids to eat healthy food--even if they don’t actually complete this activity themselves. Yes, I know I’m a huge hypocrite. Luckily, my children both have a huge liking for red bell peppers. Every night with dinner they get red and green bell peppers, because the store sells the two together and I’m not going to waste the green ones. They have to eat these before they can get dessert. I was watching them eat a few nights ago and realized that my oldest eats the green ones first so he can save the best for last, and my youngest gobbles up the red ones first and then dawdles through the green ones. This reminded me of Eric and me.

Growing up, Sunday mornings were for time with Dad. He would take me and Eric out to get the Sunday New York Times, fresh bagels and SUNDAY CANDY! My Mom has always been very health conscious and there were never a lot of sweets around the house. Sundays, Eric and I were allowed to pick one piece of candy each from the stationery store. It was our favorite time of week. I would always go for the candy I thought would last the longest or had the most in it; Necco Wafers and Fun Dip were favorites. A candy bar would be gone way too soon. I would eat mine slowly and try to make it last all day. Eric would get whatever he wanted and gobble it as soon as he got it.

I think we were like this in most respects. I work before playing, I save before spending and I analyze before acting. Eric was much more spontaneous. He did what he wanted and bought what he wanted. He wasn’t a spendthrift, he wouldn’t buy what he couldn’t afford, but he spent his money. My husband has to make me spend money. Sometimes I wonder if I’ll ever be able to spend the money we’re saving, even to get that new bathroom I desperately want.

Eric had so many different experiences in life. In part, he was better able to do this than me because of the career paths we chose. It’s hard to explore the world and do crazy things when you’re studying your ass off in medical school, working it off in residency or watching it expand after having children. He was also braver than I, ready to go off to a foreign country on a moment’s notice, spend the time and money, and usually get everything he wanted and more from the experience. He was a risk taker. I play it safe.

I like my comfortable, settled, life; but I think it’s time I take a few risks, fulfill a few dreams. If I don’t live now, when will I?

1 comment: