Monday, June 7, 2010

#43 Technical difficulties

Blogger, the service I use to publish my blog has been down all day. The blog is visible, but I can’t post anything. I have today’s entry ready to go, but you can’t see it.

What are you thinking as you check for it? Do you wonder if the pressure of a daily blog has finally gotten too much for me? Has my family life gotten too busy? Have I stopped grieving so intensely that I no longer need to revisit it daily? Absolutely not.

The failure of Blogger is causing a mini-crisis in my life today. I want to post about Eric. I need to post about Eric. I need you to know that I have not forgotten or gotten too busy or run out of words. I don’t want to disappoint you and I desperately don’t want you to think I’m done and stop coming by. I want this blog to grow, not shrink. I know technical difficulties occur, and in fact this one has already inspired another blog post about technical difficulties in my family, but I am having a hard time with this.

Are other bloggers having the same issues I’m having? Are they as attached to their stories? My guess is they are. Once I’ve written something I’m eager to get it out there, to see what you think, to give it life. I’m sure other writers feel the same way.

I am not really a big reader of blogs. I have a few that I like to read, mostly written by people I know. I am not a facile web user. My husband can spend hours online doing I have no idea what. I can’t. I check my few favorite sites, my email and then I’m done….unless someone else emails me. I can do a decent search, but my husband can do a better one. I have not once found a blog I just want to read without it being recommended by someone. I wouldn’t even know how to do that.

I want my blog to grow, but I don’t really know how to make that happen either, besides telling everyone I know to read it. (Psst—tell your friends!) Not being able to post today is really cramping my style. Or is it? I’ve written four posts for the future including this one.

Thanks Blogger for helping me find a creative streak, but I’m really, really ready to get back to publishing what I’ve written.

1 comment:

  1. My entire hard drive crashed on the Sunday I was supposed to post a big post on the Disney Princesses. I had a rough draft printed of the blog post, and re-typed it onto another computer--then sent my husband out to BUY me a new computer, which he then had to set up in time for me to then email myself the re-typed version to myself and post by midnight--my self-imposed deadline.
    Don't mess with a blogger on a deadline.
    Blogger is probably very sorry for their failures today.
    In terms of traffic, do you already have a stat counter to monitor unique hits? I had to install one, but maybe blogger has one now. Let me know if you don't have one and I'll tell you about the statcounter I use.
    And, driving traffic is the biggest goal of every blogger I know--when I am not making dinner and being overwhelmed by my two kids, I'll send another email about this....

    ReplyDelete