Friday, April 30, 2010

#5 The Gong Show

Remember The Gong Show? You know, that 1970’s game show where contestants performed until they either finished their act (rare) or were chased off the stage after one of the judges hit a huge gong? If you don’t remember, well, I think I just summed it up. That is what Eric and I would do after we went to bed.

Ever the performer I would sneak into Eric’s room while we were both supposedly sleeping and create different acts. He would stay in bed and “gong” me. If it sounds pretty dumb, it was. It was also a lot of fun and we would laugh our heads off. I’m pretty sure we also re-created other game shows, but that is the one that sticks in my mind.

We also used to sneak off and sleep in the bathtub. I’m not sure why we thought this was a really cool thing to do, but we did. I can remember being in there with my “Jeffrey from Toys R Us” sleeping bag. As the older sister I got the side of the tub where there was no faucet to maim your head.

Eric never really was much of a night person though. I’m still not sure he’s ever seen the end of either “The Wizard of Oz” or “The Sound of Music” which my parents would let us stay up late to watch.

He was, however, always up with the crack of dawn. My mother used to have to tell him he couldn’t have a bath until the sun was up. Maybe that was why we slept in there instead.

His birthday is New Year’s Day and I can remember many New Year’s Eves when he was long asleep by midnight and my friends and I would leave doughnuts out on the kitchen table for when he awoke.

I also remember being fiercely jealous that he was up and doing things that I was not a part of…..but I guess not jealous enough to interrupt my precious sleep. I just wanted him to sleep in too.

Even as an adult when we lived three time zones apart, I could call him on my way to work, 5:00 am his time, and he would be up and moving.

My children who are now 6 and 3 share a room. I know they play in there after we put them to bed. I don’t especially mind as long as they don’t kill each other and they actually go to bed at some point. My little one gets up REALLY early and crawls into my bed. It drives the older one nuts. It’s nice to see history repeating itself.

2 comments:

  1. This may be just for family and friends, but I was searching Google for Star Wars footie pjs and this came up, and I thought I would read the first few "chapters"/blog entries (whatever they are called). Anyways, I'm reading this, and I just thought I would let you know how sweet this blog is, it makes me miss my brother and love him more. So, thank you. And if you don't mind (not sure if this is a family thing or not) but it's just so cute that I might have to read it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, I'm so glad you are reading, it's definitely not just a family thing. I'm glad this blog is making you value your brother, especially this week of Thanksgiving. Not only is it a time to give thanks for what we have (or had) but it is the holiday when I was always guaranteed to see Eric so I'm missing him even more now. Thanks for making my day with your comment, hope you enjoy the rest. Oh, and Eric would have been thrilled to appear under a search for Star Wars footie pj's!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete