Saturday, January 8, 2011

#257 Look....in a book!

I come from a family of readers. As a kid I can remember my mom sitting in her arm chair reading during rare breaks from taking care of me, my brother and my dad.




Later, my parents, Eric and I used to swap books on vacations as we would finish what we brought.



I remember one weekend I spent with a friend who lived in New York City when I was a teenager and when I came home Eric took one look at the book I had bought and said, “Oh, Mom just threw that away because she didn’t want you to read it”. It was a fairly graphic romance novel.



We all read every genre, but each have our preferences. I like suspense novels, my dad likes historical books, fiction or not, my mom tends towards true literature and Eric liked science fiction.



I suppose it’s no surprise that I married a man from a family of readers. He and I both love to read, it’s my favorite way to relax and unwind from a long day.



My seven year old is turning into a reader and that makes me really happy. For his seventh birthday we gave him our copy of the first Harry Potter book and he’s almost finished with it. More importantly, he’s loving it. He knows he won’t get the next one until he turns eight and he doesn’t want to wait…but he will.  Even my younger son who can't read yet, is desperate to be able to and loves the PBS show "Super Why" where they solve mysteries when they "look...in a book".  He also really wants me to buy "Your Baby Can Read" for the new little one.



Eric would be pleased. Eric had his living room set up as a library complete with carrels in between book shelves with just about every genre of writing represented. It makes me sad that Eric won’t be able to help guide my kids through the best of science fiction or other books that he loved to read. I can just imagine the torrent of books that would arrive at our house from him once our kids reached the age they could appreciate them.



Oh well, at least they’ll be readers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment